Monday, June 2, 2014

Israel, Part 1: Epiphany in Tel Aviv

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." -- Neale Donald Walsch

About a year ago I was lucky enough to be able to tag along with Tom on a business trip to Israel. I have to admit it is not somewhere I had ever thought about visiting, but I never pass up an opportunity to travel. We were with a lovely, international group of people with whom we had travelled before. While Tom and his cohorts were tending to business affairs, my friends and I were able to explore different areas of Tel Aviv. What a fantastic city! Beautiful, safe, cosmopolitan; truly a wonderful place.


I of course had my trusty camera along, and decided I would do something I've never done before: ask strangers if I could take their picture. This was a huge stretch for me, as I was normally a quiet, reserved person. But something extraordinary happened on that day in Tel Aviv: I connected with people like I never had, striking up conversations, laughing, learning, and sharing something very special.

It began in the neighborhood of Neve Tzedek, when my friend Vivian encouraged me to approach a man sitting at a street corner.
Amnon Nissim, the king of matkot
 Not only did he gladly let me take his picture, but he invited us up to his apartment. His name was Amnon Nissim, and he was very proud of his status of the king of matkot (beach paddleball) for 50 years. His apartment was full of memorabilia: paddles, photographs, newspaper articles. He was a lovely man and it was really special to get a glimpse into this life.


 







Further down the street, we peeked into the doorway of a shop and met two very friendly printers. Since our husbands are both in the printing business, Vivian and I were able to make a connection, and they happily let me take some pictures.


The happy printer
Next we travelled on to Old Jaffa to have lunch and visit the market. As our driver parked the car and we were walking down an alleyway, I looked up and was greeted by some construction workers in a bucket truck. They toasted us as I took their picture.


Cheers!
We had a fantastic Mediterranean meal at a rooftop restaurant. The waiters were great fun; I think I have a friend for life!



After lunch we spent some time in the market. The history and culture were fascinating, and the people so interesting. Emboldened by my successes, I continued to ask people if I could take their pictures. I did get some rejections and rude replies, but by and large people were very willing to be engaged. It was such a wonderful way to be able to strike up a conversation and make a connection.


The rug merchant
This proud and distinguished rug merchant kindly let me photograph him. I just wish I could have a way to give these people a copy of the pictures I took.

Friends
I just loved these two men. They were very friendly and called me over, then said, "Do you like Obama?" Talk about a loaded question! I had no idea how to answer that one in the context of where I was, so I said, "Do you?" It turned out they did, very much (as long as he supports Israel). Then they let me take their picture.


Israeli Soldiers
We met a group of Israeli soldiers relaxing at a cafe. I think some of them weren't too sure if they should be photographed, but they obliged.

At the end of that fantastic day I was in love with the people of Israel, and almost floating on air at how well I had been able to make connections and feel at ease meeting strangers in a strange land, all because the camera around my neck gave me the courage to say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment