Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Sugar Shack

A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.” -- John Burroughs, Signs and Seasons, 1886

At almost 60 degrees, last Saturday brought a much-needed respite from our frigid February temperatures. I decided to take advantage of the day and visit Clough Valley Maple Syrup, about half a mile down the road from my neighborhood.  I love that, although I live in a suburb, I can easily feel like I am in the country.

I showed up with my camera and started talking to the family who makes the syrup. I find that if you show up with a camera, a smile, and an upbeat attitude, most people are more than willing to talk to you and let you take pictures. The Motz family is one of the oldest families in our area, and has been making maple syrup for many years. I'm not a huge fan of maple syrup, but this is absolutely wonderful.



The Sugar Shack on Clough Pike, with several generations of the Motz family and their dogs enjoying the warm February day.


They tap the maple trees on the hillsides across the creek, using over five miles of tubing to tap over 500 trees.


Bart Motz skims foam from the evaporator pans.  Bart also drives an ice cream truck and raises chickens. In addition, he is responsible for the infamous raccoon-eating snowman  http://boingboing.net/2014/01/30/frosty-eats-raccoon-the-story.html



Whenever you see steam coming out of the roof vents, you know they are cooking syrup, and are welcome to stop by. Maple syrup production generally runs from February through early March. However, with the extreme cold this winter, the sap hasn't been running like usual.




A few members of the family were happy to pose for a picture.



I loved the look of this sheaf of tobacco hanging in the doorway, in front of an old potbelly stove.



The finished product sits on shelves in front of the window. It is also sold in several local businesses and can be purchased online.  For more information, contact http://www.cloughvalley.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment